Friday 10 September 2010

New Voices

Competition fever has gripped every aspiring Mills and Boon writer I know - myself included. So yesterday I travelled to Nantwich for a talk given by India Grey, offering tips on writing for Mills and Boon and those all important tips on creating a successful competition entry.

Nantwich is a beautiful town, full of lovely little shops that sadly I didn't have time to explore, but I hope to put that right another day. The buildings of the town are old, some lovely black and white ones and St Mary's church dominates the town with its magnificence.

The talk took place in Nantwich Library and was full of helpful tips on writing for Mills and Boon and entering their New Voices competition.

These are some to the tips I came away with.
  • Get the Hero and Heroine on the page together as soon as possible.
  • Show don't tell.
  • Use dialogue
  • Keep it pacey, don't put in lots of back story in the first chapter.
The afternoon ended with tea and some fabulous cupcakes India had brought with her and the sunshine disappeared just as I made my way back to the station and it poured with rain.

With India's advice and tips fresh in my mind I read again my entry on the train journey home feeling both nervous and excited about uploading my entry at the weekend.

  
Just some of the lovely buildings in Nantwich.

5 comments:

  1. It was lovely to meet you! Looking forward to reading your entry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day - how lucky to meet India and get some insight!

    Good luck with your entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your entry,Rachael, I have every faith in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your entry Rachael, I really enjoyed it!

    Good Luck. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm echoing Joanne -just popped over to say I've just read your entry - cracking stuff - one of the best I've read so far. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete