Last week I started work on my latest book and have decided to use the challenge of NaNoWriMo as I write. My aim is to have a complete first draft by the end of November.
Here's a few tips on making and meeting your daily word count target.
1. Make it achievable for you and your lifestyle. Set that daily target at a level that is achievable. There's nothing more disheartening than constantly failing to meet your target.
2. Find a time of day that suits you best for writing. I'm a lark by choice and love nothing more than getting my daily word count done before the day really begins. This does mean I'm usually crashed out by the time the night owls among us are working away.
3. Create a space that is just for you - even if it is tucked away in the corner of a room and make sure you have all you need at hand. A good supply of coffee and chocolate is always welcome.
4. If one day, life gets in the way and you don't manage any words, don't panic, simply add some onto each day for the next week. By sharing them out like this it doesn't feel as if you lagging too far behind.
5. This is the most important one. Have fun and enjoy what your are writing!